The Institute of Petroleum Technology came into being in order to bridge the gap between the industry and the academia especially in the area of practical hands-on experience specifically required in the Oil and Gas sector of the economy.
The essence of the institute , therefore, is to make trainings available to young Nigerians whose expertise are required to man the various technical positions in the Oil and Gas industry in Nigeria.
Yaba College of Technology signed a tripartite Memorandum of Agreement in 2013 with Global Maritime West Africa Limited (GMWAL) and Society for Underwater Technology (SUT) to partner in capacity development for the Oil and Gas sector. The partnership was thus, approved by the Past Governing Council of the College whilst the College organ to implement this was named ?INSTITUTE OF PETROLEUM TECHNOLOGY, YABA COLLEGE OF TECHNOLOGY.?
The College Authority acquired a structure from the Alumni Association known as the Alumni Building Complex for the Institute. The 3-Storey building has lecture rooms, laboratories, offices with furniture, teaching devices and equipment needed for the take-off.
However, the Agreement between the College and the Partners is for the running, managing and administration of the Institute. The Agreement is backed by a Constitution which stipulates other organs for the effective management and administration of the Institute. They include Board of Trustees, Management Committee, Advisory and Admissions Committee.
OBJECTIVES OF THE INSTITUTE
The objectives are as follows:
1. To provide and encourage the advancement of learning and also to hold out to all persons without distinction of tribe, race, creed, sex, political conviction, the opportunity to acquire high quality education with very modern technology.
2. To provide a Certificate, Postgraduate Technician, Full Technician Certificate and Foundation programme of the highest quality currently available in the petroleum industry.
3. To improve the number and quality of professionals available for the Oil and Gas industry in Nigeria.
4. To encourage and promote Scholarships and research in the field of deep water Subsea Oil and Gas learning.
5. Relate all its activities to the Social, Cultural and Economic needs of the people of Nigeria.
6. To promote and support the establishment of numerous Energy Centres within the institute.
7. To undertake other auxiliary and related activities which may be appropriate for such an Institute with the highest standards.
8. To encourage and promote the International requirements for Engineering Subsea Talents (IREST) Certifications in Nigeria and the world at large.
9. To encourage and promote SUT Subsea Technical Conferences in Nigeria and Africa.
10. To encourage and promote SUT African Energy Concerts and Awards.
Conclusively, it is to promote all courses of instructions as well as other facilities for the pursuit of areas of learning and to make those facilities available in proper terms to such persons as are presented and properly equipped to benefit from them.
STRUCTURE OF THE INSTITUTE
The structure of the institute is as follows:
a. A Board of Trustees
b. A Management Committee
c. An Advisory Committee
d. An Academic Committee
e. An Admission Committee
f. Other teaching and research units of the Institute
g. Managing Director
h. Academic Head Director
i. An Industry Director
j. A Co-ordinator
k. A Strategy & Business Development Consultants
l. A project Management Consultants
o. All students of the graduate programme of the Institute
p. All Alumni of the graduate programmes of the Institute
Contact Institute of Petroleum Technology
Engr. Samuel .K. Loko.
B.Sc. Mechanical Engineering (University of Ife), M.Sc. Mechanical Engineering (Production) Unilag. (NSE), COREN,(SUT).
Director,Institute Of Petroleum Technology.
DIRECTOR Institute of Petroleum Technology